Monday, November 28, 2011

Henry Flagg

            The buzz of the audience, feverish and excited dancing of hands. The crowd is flowers for ears and honey for eyes. It was my favorite thing, as I would get into the ring in my black and yellow shorts. It was also my favorite thing afterwards too, because that’s how you know when you win. I always won, so that’s how I knew who I was.
            Right now, I am Henry Flagg. A man in a small apartment with no family. My posters remind me that I used to have a big family; fans, wrestlers, refs, and coaches. I spent every day at the ring, practicing, joking around with the guys. Here comes the busy bee, they’d say. And I would say back, all sting and no float. And we’d laugh about it, good days had. Man, I was on top then. Killa Gorilla, Man Handle, Colonel Overkill, and even Toucan Slam. I bested the lot of ‘em. Of course, this was back when themed wrestlers were big, we all had to have a backstory and we all had to sell it.
            Course, current wrestling is a little bit the same. But now there’s no character. Just backstory and a guy. We became icons, and we were spectacles, man. I mean, a grown man dressed in a bee costume wrestling a guy in a construction get-up? That’s an event, and people side with whoever they identify with, not whoever has the best record.
            I loved my story, mostly because it’s partly true. As a kid, I was picked on all the time. So, naturally I had to work out to defend myself, but I didn’t want to go to a gym. They judge you at a gym when you’re still the scrawny guy. So I went into the woods to train. And one day, the bullies followed me there, and I was just starting out. I dodged the first punch thrown, and the kid hit a tree. This angered the bees up there, and they went after the jerks who came for me. But the bees didn’t bother me. So I trained with the bees, learning how to throw each sting as if it was my last. Of course, for the show, there’s a little more of “raised by bees” and less “exercised near them.”
            So in the ring, I was Rumble Bee, idolized by children everywhere. I could go out on Halloween and see a kid or two dressed like me, act like me. Those were the days. But then, regardless of the fights you win or lose, you get old eventually. I did. The popularity of us wrestlers came quickly, and all I really knew to do was wrestle. So I put on a different costume, Henry Flagg, cashier at a plant store. In the springtime, I can shut my eyes, and listen real close, and I can feel like myself again.

1 comment:

  1. Killer ending, Mike. You have such a knack for creating vivid characters I somehow care for (or at least have some reaction to) after only a few paragraphs. Our next assignment will be to write a monologue. Many of your blog posts so far read like monologues so I imagine you will have some fun with this too. Excellent job as always.

    ReplyDelete